Emerson is an attorney and has been an advocate for individuals with disabilities and their families for over forty years. Among the cases he has handled are leading precedents (New Jersey Supreme Court) protecting the due process rights of pupils in special education (Lascari) and the constitutional rights of adults with developmental (J.E.). Emerson is Past President of the International Dyslexia Association and a former member of the National Joint Committee on Learning Disabilities. Emerson is a member of the Professional Advisory Board of the Center for Development and Learning, the Professional Advisory Board of The Children’s Dyslexia Centers, was Secretary of Arc of N.J., a member of the Professional Advisory Board for the National Center for Learning Disabilities for six years, a member of the Learning Disabilities Roundtable sponsored by the Division of Research to Practice of the U. S. Department of Education, Chairman of the Protection and Advocacy Agency for the State of New Jersey for five years, and a founding board member and past Secretary of the Alliance for Accreditation and Certification of Structured Language Education. In 2004 Emerson conceived of and organized an invitational forum attended by 33 organizations on the issue of Building Capacity to Deliver Multi-Tiered Reading Intervention in Public Schools. Emerson has been an invited speaker at conferences in 26 states, Hong Kong, England, Brazil, India, and the Czech Republic.
Education: C.W. Post College of Long Island University, B.S. in Industrial Engineering, 1965; Rutgers Law School, Newark, J.D., 1972; New Jersey Bar, 1972; U.S. District Court for District of New Jersey, 1972; New York Bar, 1985; U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1986.
- New Jersey Council for Exceptional Children Division of Early Childhood 1993 Professional Recognition Award and Parent Recognition Award.
- Community Resource Council 1993 Lawyers Committee Award.
- The Orton Dyslexia Society, New Jersey Branch 1996 Community Service Award.
- Bergen County Bar Foundation 2000 Community Service Award.
- The Newgrange School 2009 Service Award.
- Hall of Honor of the International Dyslexia Association, 2009.
- The Outstanding Achievement Award; NJIDA, 2010.
- The Margaret Byrd Rawson Lifetime Achievement Award, 2012; International Dyslexia Association (Shared with Georgette).